Why Your Pet Needs Parasite Prevention
Pet parasite prevention is an important part of your pet’s overall preventative care. Even if you have yet to find a flea or tick on your pet, these and other pests can still be a threat to their health. Aside from being a nuisance, ticks and mosquitoes can spread disease to your pet. Furthermore, parasites can remain active throughout the year, sheltering in warm places in homes or going dormant until the first thaw. We recommend a full 12 months of protection every year to keep your pet safe!
Along with fleas and ticks, other pet parasites include mosquitoes (which transmit heartworms), roundworms, hookworms, whipworms and tapeworms. Intestinal parasites can be passed from pet to pet by coming into contact with infected feces, but many puppies and kittens can also be born with them or contract them from their mothers while nursing.
Heartworm disease and Lyme disease are some of the most common diseases spread by parasites. The Deer tick carries a bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi, which causes Lyme disease in the host it infects. Mosquitoes carrying Dirofilaria immitis (parasitic roundworm) larvae can spread this parasite to a host with just one bite. Both of these diseases can make your pet very sick or even prove life-threatening.
How You Can Protect Your Pet
Warrick Veterinary Clinic carries the most effective, high-quality pet parasite prevention products for dogs and cats. These include:
- Bravecto – oral and topical flea and tick preventive for dogs and cats
- Nexgard – oral flea and tick preventive for puppies
- Heartgard Plus – an oral heartworm preventive for dogs
- Interceptor Plus – an oral heartworm and intestinal parasite preventive for dogs
- Advantage Multi – a topical preventive for dogs and cats that protects against heartworm, fleas, ear mites and intestinal parasites
- Trifexis – an oral preventive that protects dogs against fleas, heartworms and intestinal parasites
- Revolution – a topical preventive that protects cats against heartworm and intestinal parasites
If you need help choosing prevention for your pet or have questions for out team, give us a call today!